Many small businesses ask us how to grow their email list. It's a lot easier than you might think.
Use LinkedIn for 10 Minutes
You can start by connecting with people you know on LinkedIn. LinkedIn uses its social networking technology to help you find others you might have met based on your current connections. Spend 10 minutes on LinkedIn to add people to your connections.
Install LinkedIn's app on your smartphone or tablet so you can be productive during points in your day when you are waiting or not doing much (like the grocery store line, kid's soccer practice or during a commercial on TV). Scroll through the contacts in LinkedIn's "People You May Know" list to make connections. You can add hundreds of email addresses to your list pretty quickly — even more if you make a habit of doing this regularly.
LinkedIn knows the contact information of all of your connections and allows you to download their email address, name, title and company as a CSV file.
When you are logged into your LinkedIn account:
- Select 'Connections' in the navigation menu, then click on 'Keep in Touch.'
- Click the Settings icon (looks like a gear) on the top right of this page.
- This takes you to LinkedIn's Contact Settings page. On the right, click 'Export LinkedIn Connections' (under Advanced Settings).
- Type in the security verification text and click 'Continue'.
- Select the export file type (Outlook CSV will create a standard CSV file for you), then click 'Export'.
- Save the CSV file on your computer.
Since some of your contacts might not be appropriate for your general marketing list (i.e., family members or certain friends who have connected with you). Remove those from your list before you send your email newsletters or marketing campaigns.
Nurture Your Contacts Using Presstacular
Since LinkedIn limits how many of your contacts you can email at once and doesn't tell you who is reading your message, you can import your CSV file into an email marketing tool like Presstacular to stay in touch with a newsletter, send important security alerts, and communicate with your contacts regularly. This will keep you top-of-mind so that when your connections have an IT need, they will think of you first.
Presstacular users, to import your file into your account:
- Click 'Add List Members' from your dashboard.
- Select 'Import Members', then 'Upload a File'.
- Click 'Browse' to choose your CSV file, then click 'Upload File'.
- Following the instructions on the screen to map the fields in the CSV file to the proper fields in your account, then complete the upload steps.
Your file will be de-duped for existing or unsubscribed addresses automatically and be ready to use within a few minutes. Please contact our support desk if you have any questions.
You can then stay in touch using Presstacular's rich library of timely articles. It will help you portray your company as an expert resource.